Labels

Tuesday, 7 October 2025

Tenali Raman and the Proud Scholar

 

Tenali Raman and the Proud Scholar

D

uring the golden reign of King Krishnadevaraya, the court of Vijayanagara was famous for its brilliance and wisdom. Scholars from all over India came to the king’s court to debate, discuss, and display their knowledge.

Among the courtiers, none was more famous for wit and intelligence than Tenali Raman. His quick thinking and clever replies often saved the king from embarrassment and taught valuable lessons to everyone.

A Challenge from a Foreign Scholar

O

ne day, a famous scholar from Kashi (Varanasi) came to the Vijayanagara court. He was known throughout the land for his vast knowledge of scriptures and languages. However, he was also extremely proud and arrogant.

He walked into the court and said boldly, “Your Majesty, I have heard that your court is full of wise men. I challenge any of them to a debate with me. If I win, you must accept me as the greatest scholar in your kingdom. If I lose, I shall leave this court forever.”

King Krishnadevaraya welcomed the scholar politely and said, “We are honored to have you here. You may debate with any of my scholars.”

The court pandits stepped forward one by one, but the scholar defeated each of them easily with his sharp arguments and vast knowledge.

Finally, he turned to the king and said proudly, “Is there no one in your court who can match my intelligence?”

The king looked worried. He didn’t want Vijayanagara to be insulted in front of a stranger. Just then, Tenali Raman  rose from his seat and bowed to the king.

“Your Majesty,” he said calmly, “if you permit, I will debate with this great scholar tomorrow morning.”

The king nodded eagerly. “Very well, Tenali. But remember, our kingdom’s pride rests on your shoulders.”




Tenali’s Strange Request

T

hat evening, Tenali went home and began to think. He knew the scholar was extremely learned in Sanskrit and ancient texts. Competing with him in a traditional debate would be difficult.

Then, a clever idea flashed in his mind.

The next morning, Tenali arrived at court carrying a large bundle of books, tied in cloth. The scholar was already waiting, looking confident.

The king asked, “Tenali, are you ready for the debate?”

Tenali smiled. “Yes, Your Majesty. But I have one small condition. Since this learned scholar has debated in Sanskrit with everyone so far, I would like to debate with him in a language called ‘Maree Kutti’.”

The scholar frowned. “Maree Kutti? I have never heard of such a language!”

Tenali pretended to be surprised. “What! You call yourself the greatest scholar and you don’t even know the ancient language of Maree Kutti? I am shocked!”

The courtiers began to whisper among themselves. The scholar grew uneasy. He didn’t want to admit ignorance in front of everyone.

“Alright,” he said, trying to hide his nervousness. “I accept your challenge. Let us begin the debate in this so-called language.”

The Debate Begins

T

enali placed his bundle of books on the floor and sat cross-legged before the scholar. Then he made a few strange gestures with his hands, moving his fingers in a mysterious pattern, and said in a serious tone, “Hmm… Kumbha Kumbha Reetee Maree Kutti!”

The scholar was completely confused. He had no idea what Tenali was saying. Still, to save his pride, he made some random gestures and replied, “Ah… Chimba Chimba Reetee Maree Kutti!”

Tenali immediately frowned and said, “You are wrong! That is not the correct form in Maree Kutti grammar. You have insulted the sacred rules of the language.”

The scholar looked helpless. “Wait! Wait! Let me explain!” he said, sweating nervously.

But Tenali interrupted him and stood up angrily. “Your Majesty, this man clearly doesn’t know Maree Kutti. How can we call him a scholar if he argues in a language he doesn’t understand?”

The entire court burst into laughter. The scholar’s face turned red with embarrassment.

The king smiled knowingly. “Tenali, it seems you have caught him in his own pride.”

The scholar, realizing that he had been tricked, bowed before the king and said, “Forgive me, Your Majesty. I allowed my arrogance to blind my wisdom. I am not the greatest scholar. This man, Tenali Raman, has taught me a valuable lesson today.”

He left the court humbly, never to return again.

The King’s Praise

A

fter the scholar left, the king turned to Tenali and said with admiration, “Tenali, what a clever way to protect the honor of our kingdom! But tell me, what is this Maree Kutti language you spoke of?”

Tenali laughed. “Your Majesty, there is no such language! I simply invented the name on the spot. I knew the scholar’s pride would never allow him to admit ignorance. So, I used his arrogance to defeat him.”

The king laughed heartily. “Tenali, your wisdom is greater than a hundred scholars’ knowledge. You have shown us that intelligence is not about knowing everything, but about thinking wisely at the right time.”

Moral of the Story

Pride and arrogance lead to downfall, while true wisdom lies in humility and presence of mind.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

தெனாலிராமன் மற்றும் பொற்கொய்யா

  தெனாலிராமன் மற்றும் பொற்கொய்யா வி ஜயநகர சாம்ராஜ்யத்தில் புகழ்பெற்ற அரசர் ிருஷ்ணதேவராயர் ஆட்சி செய்த காலம் அது. அ...