Tenali Raman and the Greedy Minister
|
I |
n the prosperous kingdom of Vijayanagara, ruled by the wise King Krishnadevaraya, there lived many ministers and scholars. Among them was one who often boasted about his wealth and cunning. He was greedy, always seeking to increase his riches, even at the cost of the common people. The king tolerated him because he managed state accounts well, but many in the court secretly disliked his arrogance.
One day, as the ministers gathered in the royal court, the greedy minister began to brag about how no one in the kingdom could trick him. “Your Majesty,” he said proudly, “I am the sharpest man in Vijayanagara. No merchant, no scholar, no clever trickster could ever deceive me. My eyes can see through every lie.”
The courtiers exchanged glances. Some shook their heads at his conceit, while others smirked. King Krishnadevaraya, though wise and just, was also fond of entertainment. He loved to see wit and intelligence displayed in his court.
The king turned to his favorite court jester and advisor, Tenali Raman, and said, “Raman, you have heard what our minister claims. He says that no one can outwit him. Do you believe it?”
Tenali Raman smiled, his eyes twinkling mischievously. “Maharaja,” he replied humbly, “I do not doubt the minister’s cleverness. But I also believe that every lock has a key. With your permission, I shall try to test his boast.”
The king clapped his hands in delight. “Excellent! I grant you permission. Show us whether our minister is as wise as he believes.”
The Plan
That evening, Tenali Raman went home and began to plan. He knew that to expose the minister’s greed, he must set a trap that appealed to the minister’s greatest weakness—his love for money.
The next morning, Raman disguised himself as a rich merchant from a faraway land. He wore a large turban, thick mustache, and long flowing robes. Around his neck hung a string of glittering glass beads that looked like precious diamonds. He carried a small chest filled with shiny stones that sparkled in the light. To the untrained eye, they looked like priceless gems, though they were nothing more than polished quartz.
With this disguise, Raman entered the marketplace and began speaking loudly. “I am a merchant from Persia! I bring with me rare jewels of unmatched beauty. Whoever wishes to buy them will surely double his fortune!”
The greedy minister, always alert to opportunities of wealth, heard the news. He rushed to the market with his servants. As soon as he saw the glittering stones, his eyes widened. He thought to himself, These must be worth a kingdom! If I buy them secretly and sell them elsewhere, I shall become richer than even the king himself.
He approached the disguised Raman and asked in a hushed voice, “Good sir, how much do you want for these jewels?”
Raman, keeping his voice firm and mysterious, said, “They are priceless. But since I am in need of gold to continue my travels, I will part with them for just ten thousand gold coins. A small price for such treasures.”
The minister’s greed burned like fire in his heart. Ten thousand coins was a huge sum, but he imagined selling the stones later for double or triple the amount. Without hesitation, he said, “I shall buy them. But not here, in the open market. Come to my house tonight. I will give you the gold in secret.”
Raman nodded, hiding his amusement.
The Exchange
That night, under the cover of darkness, the minister welcomed the disguised Raman into his home. He carefully closed the doors and windows so that no one could see what was happening inside. From a locked chest, he brought out bags of gold coins and placed them on the table.
“Here is your payment,” said the minister eagerly. “Now, give me the jewels.”
Raman handed over the chest of quartz stones. The minister opened it, his greedy eyes shining at the glittering gems. “Marvelous!” he whispered. “I am the cleverest man in Vijayanagara. Soon I shall be richer than the king himself.”
Raman bowed and left with the gold, smiling to himself.
The Revelation
The next day, the king held court as usual. The greedy minister sat proudly in his seat, imagining his newfound wealth. But soon, a royal guard entered the hall and announced, “Maharaja, a strange merchant seeks your audience. He says he has been cheated by one of your ministers.”
“Bring him in,” ordered the king.
To everyone’s surprise, in walked the same disguised merchant—none other than Tenali Raman. He bowed before the king and said, “Your Majesty, last night one of your ministers tricked me. I sold him my priceless jewels for ten thousand gold coins, but I realize now I may have made a mistake. I seek your justice.”
The king turned sharply toward the greedy minister. “Is this true? Did you purchase jewels from this merchant in secret?”
The minister stammered, sweat forming on his forehead. “Y-Yes, Your Majesty, but only to increase the wealth of the kingdom. I thought I could make a profit for the state treasury.”
“Then let us see these jewels,” said the king sternly.
With trembling hands, the minister opened the chest and revealed the stones. The courtiers burst into laughter. “These are not jewels!” one exclaimed. “They are mere pebbles, polished to shine!”
The minister’s face turned pale. He realized he had been utterly fooled.
At that moment, Tenali Raman removed his disguise. Gasps filled the court. “Maharaja,” he said, bowing, “I wished to test the minister’s boast. He claimed no one could trick him, but in truth, his greed blinded him. He thought of his own gain instead of the kingdom’s welfare. That is why he fell into the trap.”
King Krishnadevaraya’s eyes sparkled with both amusement and wisdom. He declared, “Greed is the greatest weakness of man. No matter how clever one claims to be, greed can make even the wisest blind. Minister, learn this lesson well. From today, let your service be for the good of the people, not for your own pocket.”
The embarrassed minister bowed his head in shame.
Moral of the Story
Greed blinds even the most intelligent person. True wisdom lies in honesty, humility, and service to others-not in selfish gain.

No comments:
Post a Comment